Range Hood Fan Is Not Working Properly
In this article…
- Why Your Range Hood Fan Is Not Working Properly: Reasons & Troubleshooting Tips
- Incoming Power Problem
- Fuse/Overcurrent Protection Sensor
- Defective Switches
- Issues with the Circuit Control Board
- Malfunctioning User Control or Display Board
- Fan Motor Not Spinning
- Range Hood Fan is Not Tightened and Making Noise
- Fix Appliances CA — Your Trusted Authorized Appliance Repair Service
A range hood is an advantageous tool in your kitchen. It can vent out fumes, different stale odours, and heat outside through a grease filter and ductwork. Similar to any appliance in your home, a range hood requires maintenance and repairs through the years. If your range hood is not working properly, it’s time to find an answer to this question.
If your range hood is leaving you in a smoky fog and has stopped doing its job, and if none of your quick fixes have gotten it up and running again, it’s high time to contact professionals to define the problem why your vent hood fan not working and fix it. The qualified and skilled technicians at Fix Appliances CA provide licensed expert services for major brands, types and models of range hoods. You are welcome to contact us today, and we will have your hood range working in no time. We are available from Monday to Sunday, including holidays.
Why Your Range Hood Fan Is Not Working Properly: Reasons & Troubleshooting Tips
When the exhaust fan of your range hood stops working, the two most common problems are a broken on-and-off switch and a burned-out fan motor. If you don’t feel secure and powerful in your repair skills, hiring a trained and qualified repairman to determine and fix these issues may be your best choice. But if you’d like to try to figure out which part is malfunctioning before asking for help from an appliance repair company, you can eliminate the problem by yourself.
Below you can find the most common issues with the range hood fan:
- Incoming Power Problem: The socket can have a short circuit or become overloaded. This can happen when there are many electrical appliances hooked up. At this point, unplug some of the electrical devices from the socket to flip your breaker. Besides, to exclude the problem in the socket, you can test it. The simplest way is to plug in another electrical device; if it turns on and works, the problem is with your range hood. But, if your appliance doesn’t work when plugged in, you should check your circuit breaker – it may have flipped.
NB: unplug all appliances before flipping the breaker.
- Fuse/Overcurrent Protection Sensor: You can look for melted metal or discoloured glass to find the blown fuse on your circuit breaker box. Use a multimeter to test whether the fuse has a continuous electrical current or not. If the multimeter shows the proper voltage, it means that the current is continuous. If not, the fuse is blown. In this case, it should be replaced.
- Defective Switches: The control panel connects to the fan and lights. Thus, it’s important to ensure electricity runs to the switches. Use a multimeter to test the current. If you can’t detect a current, a switch should be replaced.
- Issues with the Circuit Control Board: The circuit board could be faulty if your exhaust range hood fan is not working. In most cases, if the touch panel lights up and functions through each speed without the blower working, it’s necessary to check the circuit board. You should look for melted components or broken pieces to identify if the hood is working. If not, contact range hood specialists to replace a circuit board.
- Malfunctioning User Control or Display Board: This board is very often misdiagnosed. Before replacing it check all of the more commonly defective parts. Definitely, if it doesn’t turn on or operate at different speeds, the touch panel should be replaced. Moreover, the control panel is connected to the range hood lights, and it is necessary to replace them to solve the lighting problem. But before that, check if they are receiving electrical power and if the bulbs themselves have not burned out.
- Fan Motor Not Spinning: If the range hood uses a switch to turn on the fan motor, you have to test the fan switch for continuity by using a multimeter or continuity tester to see if the fan switch allows current to flow to the motor when you turn the switch on. This test needs to be performed with the range hood still unplugged. If the motor turns on by the control board, check if the fan motor is receiving 120 volts. If not, replace the motor.
- Range Hood Fan is Not Tightened and Making Noise: To keep everything securely in place, tighten the screws on your fan motor. And verify if the fan blade is secured to ensure it can spin properly. To inspect the fan blade or blades, unscrew the plastic housing of the blower and make sure that your fan blades spin smoothly. If anything is blocking the blades, your blower may become damaged after a while.
But if you feel a strong chemical burning odour from the motor, turn off your range hood and unplug it. Contact the professionals immediately to define and fix the problem in no time.
Fix Appliances CA — Your Trusted Authorized Appliance Repair Service
Fix Appliances CA is a team of highly skillful and factory-trained experts you look for to fix your range hood appliance. We have more than seventeen years of experience in the range hood repair and installation services market. We are an authorized repair and installation center for LG, Panasonic, Bertazzoni, Signature Kitchen Suite, Cyclone, Fulgor Milano and other brands of range vent hoods. But we offer our services for major brands of vent appliances as well. Visit our brand page to find the range hood of your make. You will surely receive qualified aid from our technicians, who have all the necessary licenses and certificates.
Remember that as Fix Appliances CA is an authorized appliance repair company, we provide range hood repair services the same day, offering a complete warranty for the services and the replacement parts. It’s unnecessary to wait for new parts for your vent appliance, and our range hood experts replace the damaged or old ones at reliable prices.
Date of page creation: October 29, 2021
Page update date: February 15, 2024
Ask a Question
You might also like