How to Remove Odour From a Refrigerator: Effective Methods to Get Rid of Foul Smells
In this article…
- The Main Causes of Smell in Refrigerators
- Step-by-Step Guide to Eliminating Odour
- Remove and Clean
- Utilize Coffee Grounds or Baking Soda
- Vanilla Soaked Cotton Swab
- Additional Tips to Prevent Odor Build-up
- Are Your Home Appliances Causing You Trouble?
Unpleasant odours coming from your refrigerator can be quite bothersome. Not only can they affect the taste and quality of your stored food, but they can also permeate your kitchen. In this guide, we will provide you with effective methods to eliminate foul smells from your refrigerator, leaving it fresh and odour-free.
8 Common Smell Issues, Causes, and Solutions:
|Expired or rotting food
|Remove and dispose of spoiled food. Clean affected areas thoroughly.
|Food residue or spills
|Clean spills promptly. Use baking soda or activated charcoal for absorption.
|Excess moisture or leaks
|Check for leaks and fix them. Keep refrigerator dry. Use a dehumidifier if necessary.
|Chemical cleaners or packaging residue
|Air out the fridge by keeping it open. Wipe down surfaces with a vinegar solution.
|Store pungent foods in airtight containers.
|Fish or seafood stored improperly
|Wrap fish properly and store in sealed containers.
|Spills on hot coils or defrost heater
|Clean spills on coils or heater. Use baking soda to absorb odours.
|Overheating components or faulty wiring
|Unplug the refrigerator immediately. Call a professional for inspection and repair.
Regular cleaning, proper food storage, and addressing any issues promptly can help prevent and eliminate foul odours in your refrigerator. If an odour persists despite your efforts, it might be worth seeking professional assistance from Fix Appliances CA to ensure no underlying mechanical issues are causing the smell.
The Main Causes of Smell in Refrigerators
Understanding the common causes of refrigerator odours can help in their prevention. Here are some factors that contribute to foul smells:
- Spoiled or expired food
- Spills and leaks
- Mould or mildew growth
- Improperly sealed containers
- Accumulated debris or residue
Now that we know the potential sources of odours, let’s proceed to the step-by-step guide to removing them.
Step-by-Step Guide to Eliminating Odour
Remove and Clean
- Empty your refrigerator and freezer of all items.
- Discard any spoiled or expired food items.
- Remove shelves, drawers, and other removable parts for thorough cleaning.
- Create a cleaning solution by mixing equal parts of white vinegar and water.
- Use a sponge or cloth soaked in the vinegar-water solution to wipe the interior surfaces, including the walls, shelves, and drawers.
- Pay extra attention to any spills or stains, ensuring they are completely cleaned.
- Rinse the surfaces with clean water and dry them thoroughly.
- Clean the removable parts separately using the vinegar-water solution, rinse, and dry them before placing them back.
Utilize Coffee Grounds or Baking Soda
- Fill a large, shallow container with fresh coffee grounds or baking soda.
- Place the container at the bottom of the refrigerator and freezer.
- Ensure the coffee grounds or baking soda are spread loosely to maximize their odour-absorbing capabilities.
- Close the refrigerator and freezer doors and leave them undisturbed for at least 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove the container and discard the used coffee grounds or baking soda.
Vanilla Soaked Cotton Swab
- Soak a cotton swab in vanilla extract.
- Place the vanilla-soaked cotton swab in a small container.
- Put the container in the refrigerator and another one in the freezer.
- Close the doors and leave them undisturbed for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove the cotton swabs and discard them.
Additional Tips to Prevent Odor Build-up
- Regularly check and remove expired or spoiled food items.
- Wipe spills and clean up leaks immediately.
- Keep open containers, such as leftovers, covered tightly.
- Store pungent foods, such as onions or garlic, in airtight containers.
- Place an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb odours continuously (replace every 1-3 months).
- Clean your refrigerator at least once every three months to prevent odour build-up.
Are Your Home Appliances Causing You Trouble?
Fret not! Our skilled technicians are here to assess and mend your appliances promptly. We provide same-day repair services for your utmost convenience. With over 18+ years of unmatched expertise, Fix Appliances CA takes pride in our proficiency in servicing various appliance brands. We are proudly factory-certified and well-equipped to manage any appliance issue you encounter.
Contact us today at 888-242-0777 to obtain your free estimate. Our committed representative from Fix Appliances CA is available seven days a week to assist you, even in emergency situations. As an authorized LG appliance repair company, we take pride in the proficiency of our certified team. Whether you’re dealing with LG refrigerator malfunctions or other issues, we’re well-equipped to tackle a wide range of problems with expertise.
Date of page creation: August 18, 2023
Page update date: October 05, 2023
Ask a Question
How often should I clean my refrigerator to prevent odours?
Can I use other substances to absorb refrigerator odours?
Why does my refrigerator smell bad even after cleaning?
Why does my refrigerator have a foul smell even when it's relatively clean?
Do you offer same-day repair services for urgent issues?
How can I schedule a service with Fix Appliances CA?
You might also like