7 Samsung Refrigerator Problems & Troubleshooting
In this article…
- Refrigerator Not Cooling
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice
- Refrigerator is Not Defrosting
- Refrigerator Fan Noise
- Refrigerator Leaking Water
- Samsung’s French Door Refrigerators Have Issues
- Uneven Temperatures & Food Spoilage
- When is it Time to Call a Samsung Appliance Repairman?
Before we consider the main Samsung fridge problems, let’s make a retrospective journey into the history of Samsung, whose products have been popular for a long time worldwide.
The Samsung Group is a South Korean multinational manufacturing conglomerate headquartered in Samsung Town, Seoul, South Korea. It has approximately 90 years of history in developing and spreading its products worldwide. Samsung comprises around 80 companies engaged in different fields of business, including construction, consumer electronics, financial activity and others. Samsung Electronics is a multinational electronics and information technology company headquartered in Suwon and was established as an industrial part of the Samsung Group. The company’s activity covers four areas. They are home appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines, dishwashers, dryers, stoves, and microwave ovens.
We can’t imagine our kitchen appliances without refrigerators. And when you face any problems with the Samsung refrigerator, it always throws off. You become nervous and try to find out who can troubleshoot Samsung’s refrigerator. But if you understand that Samsung fridge problems are not things you can cope with, trust the professionals from Fix Appliances CA and will be completely satisfied with the best results you can imagine
Fix Appliances CA is a licensed home appliance repair company with highly qualified repairmen. Our skillful troubleshooting professionals are ready to provide the best repair services for your Samsung appliance repair in Ottawa. You will surely receive a well-done job from our skillful technicians soon.
When your Samsung refrigerator doesn’t work correctly, or something goes wrong with it, we barely understand what is happening. Let’s discuss the most common problem issues and troubleshooting.
Refrigerator Not Cooling
Before we consider why the refrigerator is not cooling, finding out how it works will be interesting. A refrigerator doesn’t create coldness itself. It removes the heat from the air travelling through the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Thus, a refrigerator uses a compressor and fan motors. The compressor compresses the refrigerant in gas form into the condenser coils, condensing the gas into a hot liquid. The condenser coils dissipate the heat as the liquid travels through them. When the refrigerant reaches the evaporator coils, it expands back into a gas and makes the coils cold. A condenser fan motor assists the condenser coils in dissipating the heat, while an evaporator fan motor draws air over the cold evaporator coils and then circulates that air through the refrigerator and freezer compartments.
When a fridge is working correctly, it should maintain a consistently cool temperature around 40° Fahrenheit (4° Celsius) in the refrigerator compartment and 0° Fahrenheit (-18° Celsius) in the freezer compartment. If your Samsung appliance is having problems staying cool, there can be several common reasons:
- Dirty condenser coils. This can cause the refrigerator to stop cooling. You should use a special condenser coil cleaning brush to occasionally clean the debris off the coils. This helps to keep the refrigeration system in working condition.
- Malfunctioning condenser fan motor. If a condenser fan motor is defective, it cannot draw air past the coils. The fan motor can either fail mechanically or electrically. In this case, you can test it by yourself.
- The evaporator fan motor is defective. It means that the cold air will not be circulated into the refrigerator compartment. If the motor has an unusual noise when the fridge is running, you should replace it with a new one. You can also use a multimeter to test the motor for continuity.
- The start relay or capacitor is faulty. If they malfunction, the compressor may fail to cycle correctly or not work at all. In this situation, you can test a start relay for electrical continuity. This can be done using a multimeter to determine whether it works or not. Moreover, the Ohm meter can be used to test a capacitor’s ability to release its charge while a capacitor meter defines if the component has a strong enough capacitance rating to start the compressor or not.
- The evaporator is frosted over. To avoid becoming frosted over, evaporator coils require periodic defrosting. You may have to do this manually if you own an older Samsung model. If your refrigerator is a modern one, it can use an automatic defrost system. This system includes the following: defrost heater, defrost thermostat and defrost control. You can use a multimeter to test the heater and thermostat for electrical continuity. If the heater and the thermostat test positive for continuity, then it is likely the defrost control is defective.
- A malfunctioning temperature control board. The PCB is not functioning properly if it cannot provide direct voltage to the compressor or the fan motors. To diagnose this correctly, you should check for defective components first. You can do this by yourself, but the best is to trust professional technicians to define and fix the problems.
Refrigerator Not Making Ice
Whether your Samsung refrigerator has an ice dispenser built into the door or you retrieve the ice from a bin in the freezer compartment, the ice maker itself is one accessory that seems increasingly essential as the weather turns hot. Here you can discover the main troubleshooting hits which our experts give accent to on their experience:
- If the ice cubes are too small, there is probably insufficient water pressure going to the inlet valve or a restriction in the valve itself. A weak water flow indicates that the house’s water pressure is low or there could be a problem with the supply valve. But, if you can see that the water flow is strong enough, it is most likely a restriction in the water inlet valve. Thus, the valve should be replaced.
- If the ice maker is not making any ice at all, you should first check if there is water or ice in the tray. If there isn’t any, look out for the fill tube clogged with ice, usually caused by insufficient water pressure or a defective inlet valve.
- The temperature in the freezer compartment may be too high to make ice. If the freezer temperature remains above 15° F and you cannot lower it, the fridge may have a cooling problem. But if the temperature is 10° F or lower, and you can see that no ice is being produced, the problem can be with the ice maker itself. It is probably defective, and it is to be replaced.
- If the ice maker is not producing ice like it once did, you may need to replace it with a new one by contacting Samsung refrigerator repairmen at Fix Appliances CA. Our fridge experts are licensed and certified and have the necessary skills and experience to handle this issue.
Refrigerator is Not Defrosting
If you find out that your Samsung refrigerator is warmer than usual, it is possible that your fridge is not defrosting properly or doesn’t defrost at all. There may be a few possible reasons, the most common among them:
- If the defrost heater is not working, it can be turned out. In this case, the moisture in the air will turn into frost. You can check it visually for any breaks or use a multimeter to check for continuity in the defrost heater.
- The faulty defrost thermostat can also be the next reason your fridge is not defrosting. You can check for continuity to ensure the defrost thermostat is working.
If your Samsung refrigerator is not defrosting correctly, it is necessary to contact a local repairman at Fix Appliances CA to define what the problem is and don’t try to solve it by yourself.
Refrigerator Fan Noise
Frankly speaking, refrigerators can’t work entirely quietly. Sometimes these noises can be even louder than you expect to hear settling on a new place. All these sounds differ and mean different problems with your fridge.
First, you should define where the noise comes from the back, bottom or inside the fridge. We can guess what the issue can be depending on the source of this noise. Based on our experience, we can define the most common reasons why your refrigerator is becoming noisy when running: damaged fan blade, defective evaporator fan motor and condenser fan motor, and compressor issues.
Most parts that cause a refrigerator to become noisy are easily replaceable. But the repair is not recommended for a do-it-yourselfer. You’d better contact a licensed technician to inspect and replace the damaged or defective parts to receive the best repair services and warranty on the replaced parts and services themselves.
Our refrigerator technicians are preparing the most specific and detailed review of the reasons for this problem and troubleshooting tips.
Refrigerator Leaking Water
The refrigerator is constantly running, and you take it for granted until you face a problem with it. It’s frustrating when you find water leaking out from under your refrigerator. But don’t despair! We review the most common reasons why your Samsung refrigerator leaks water, from a faulty filter to a clogged defrost drain.
Finding the source of a refrigerator leaking is not an easy thing, while the leaks themselves are threatening for the potential damage they may create. Among the main reasons we may detect:
- The refrigerator is not level
- The water filter is leaking inside
- Refrigerator leaking outside
- Clogged refrigerator defrost drain
Upon the experience of our Technical Support Manager Serge Bart, who faces and handles this problem issue with the Samsung refrigerator every time he turns around, we are preparing another post regarding why the fridge is leaking water.
Samsung’s French Door Refrigerators Have Issues
French door refrigerators are the most popular unit in the category. However, there can be a few issues with them as well. Samsung French door refrigerators have side-by-side refrigerator doors on the top, with a pull-out freezer drawer on the bottom. We can discuss many pros and cons of this type of refrigerator, but like any other fridge, they have the most common problems:
- Malfunction of the crushed-ice maker
- Water leakage issue
- Asymmetrical doors
- The bottom freezer is not maintaining temperatures
- Icemaker leaking and making loud noises, etc.
Samsung French Door refrigerators received many negative reviews. Repairing such a fridge is still one of the most expensive, making us think about it before buying.
Uneven Temperatures & Food Spoilage
If your food is spoiling too fast, it means that your Samsung refrigerator has an uneven temperature. You may face the following reasons:
- The working properly refrigerator constantly maintains 40℉. When the temperature reaches above this point, it causes food spoilage. There is probably something wrong with the thermostat of the fridge.
- The other reason is the uneven temperature may indicate a faulty air damper control that allows too much air into the fridge.
- If the thermistor’s resistance does not change with the change in temperature, it cannot function as well and may need replacement.
But anyway, if your Samsung refrigerator has power, all temperature settings are correct, and you never left the door open, it’s time to contact us to define and fix the issues of uneven temperature with your fridge.
When is it Time to Call a Samsung Appliance Repairman?
Nowadays, when people are always using the Internet to find answers to most questions, they try to solve any problems with their home appliances by watching guides on troubleshooting. It’s cool when it helps. However, on the other hand, you can damage your refrigerator and harm yourself. All repair work requires special knowledge and skills.
Don’t hesitate to contact our experienced professionals for Samsung refrigerator repair, maintenance and installation at 888-242-0777 now. Fix Appliances CA is prepared to suggest the best services and handle any issues with your Samsung kitchen appliances. Contact us today, and you’ll enjoy an excellent job with our skilled experts!
We are always nearby, and you can find our professional technicians for Samsung appliance repair in Toronto, Barrie, Hamilton, Oshawa and other service areas, such as the GTA and southern Ontario. We are available Monday to Sunday from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., including weekends and holidays.
Date of page creation: September 08, 2021
Page update date: October 06, 2023
Ask a Question
You might also like